Bus Transportation Law Firm

phone icon973-758-1300



NYS DOT Contract Carrier Authority


When does a bus operator require NYS DOT Contract Carrier Authority and when is it exempt? This issue has come up a lot lately, as we assist operators after they have received NOV’s from NYS DOT.

Here’s the scoop. If your contract is with a company to transport its employees from the company’s offices to another local destination, you do not need Contact Carrier Authority. It is an exempt service. If your contract is with an apartment building to transport its residents to another local destination, then you are required to obtain an NYS DOT Permit for Contract Carrier Service.

It is difficult to confuse the two types of operations, and it is well worth your while to get the necessary Permit to avoid NOV’s for illegal operations and possibly Summonses for your drivers. Potential fines and penalties, plus legal fees, make this a no brainer.

Jerry A. Casser, Esq. (Fairfield NJ Transportation attorney) www.jcasser.com




No comments so far!

Comments are closed